Skip to content

U13A progress to ISFA quarter-final with powerful victory over St. Paul’s

By Omer Demiral

Hampton continued their good form in the last 16 of the ISFA cup with a 4-1 victory over St Paul’s School to reach the quarter-finals of the national competition.

In the early minutes Hampton pressed with through-balls played by Josh King towards the flanks. James Queen and Nick Herrero came close – but not close enough to break the deadlock.

But Hampton soon scored their deserved goal when King played another great ball towards Herrero. He took the ball up the field then cut it back for Sam Bond to smash the ball into the net.

A couple of minutes later, Charlie Helm was brought on as a winger. Only moments after this, with his first touch of the game, Helm doubled Hampton’s lead. 

James Queen received the ball on the left flank and clipped into King who faked to shoot and then played it to Helm who struck the ball calmly across the goal. 2-0 Hampton.

Just before half-time, St Paul’s missed a chance to get themselves back in the game when their striker was outnumbered by the Hampton defence, and the ball was cleared.

Half-time, and the score line was 2-0 in Hampton’s favour.

Hampton started the second half by winning a free-kick, just outside the 18-yard box. King went to take it, but it was blocked and was cleared by St Paul’s afterwards.

From the clearance, Hampton were caught on the counter-attack. The St Paul’s striker had attempted a similar run in the first half and was unsuccessful. This time however he got beyond the back line and released a shot which was parried onto the post by Ellis in the Hampton goal.

Hampton quickly replied by winning another free-kick close to the edge of the box. King’s powerful shot was blocked by Herrero, but fortunately for Hampton, the ball fell kindly to Rudy Mills who extended Hampton’s lead.

Hampton were now 3-0 ahead and slowly closing the game out.  Or were they? After a scramble from a St Paul’s corner, Hampton failed to clear their lines and St Paul’s were back in the game with only a few minutes to go.

Could they score two goals in the dying minutes and do what Hampton did against Beth’s Grammar School?

After a few moments Hampton proved their class in a well-constructed attack and an excellent through ball by Jay Cairnes was well finished by Helm to bag his brace and win Hampton the match.

The game finished 4-1 and Hampton progressed to the quarter finals of the ISFA cup. The next tie will be played after Christmas.

Leave a Reply