Skip to content

Youth Round-Up: Abingdon and Campion

It’s been a busy week for our youth sportsmen as the footballers played Abingdon, while the rugby players competed against Campion.


U12Bs score late equaliser to snatch Abingdon draw

The game started manically, with Hampton going 1-0 up in the first 10 minutes after a low cross from Harry Spence befuddled the Abingdon keeper and defenders and drifted in. A bit of luck, but it counted.

Hampton then had a tough spell, in which Spence hit a long-range shot at the goal which seemed to hit the crossbar, bounce past the line, and spin back out of the goal. This was disallowed. Abingdon then dominated, scoring a well-worked goal which Hampton could have defended better against.

After half-time Abingdon won a controversial penalty which Hampton’s keeper had no chance saving. But in the dying minutes of the game, Hampton equalised with a goal that Abingdon players unfairly thought was offside. A controversial game, with the final score Abingdon School 2, Hampton School, 2. 

By Archie Hurst

Second-half surge gives U13Cs 6-0 win over Abingdon

The match kicks off with a start as Hampton has gained an early corner. Monty Robb steps up to the corner spot. The ball curls through the air and avoided every defender with maybe a touch on the way, but still settles in the back of the net.

Another corner whipped in by Robb and a strong header from James Derrick which explodes past the keeper. Hampton start running back but it is disallowed! 

Robb then shows some great individual skill, dribbling past three and scoring! After some great attacks and some great effort from Evan Little, Joe Earle, Daniel Evans and Harry McLusky in defence, keeping the strikers quiet.

Into the second half, and an early goal from Ben Rollason, passing the ball through the keeper’s legs. A ball is crossed by Robb and Joe Fearnside controls but it is a penalty as a defender has collided with him. Evans steps-up to take it on his debut and finishes it with ease.

Robb receives a pass from Vishal Saha and finishes. Jack Seddon passes it to Robb who crosses it to Rollason who finishes a tap in.

The game ends 6-0 to Hampton. Special mentions to Leo Hartley on his debut playing a great turn in midfield and goal. Also some great saves from makeshift goalkeeper James Derrick.

By Ben Rollason


U14As bounce back from Warwick disappointment to beat Campion

Looking to improve on their frustrating game against Warwick last week, Hampton’s U14As travelled down to Campion.

Hampton started the game well and took advantage of the slope, keeping Campion pinned down in their own twenty-two until we eventually scored a try. We used the slope and scored more tries before half time.

Throughout the match we supported line breaks and executed them, our rucking was persistent which allowed us to play flowing rugby.

In the second half, we allowed Campion to get one try back but we didn’t fault and continued to score. Henry Langrish picked up three tries around the breakdown and quick tap penalties.

However, Henry Donaldson was Man-of-the-match as he was brilliant at breaking off the scrum – his line speed and constant pressure makes him deserving of the award. The game ended 32-5 to Hampton.

By Cameron Hill

U14Bs beaten by powerful Campion team

The U14B team played their best rugby for two months as they lost 31-15 to a physical Campion side. Tries were scored by wing Greg Machiels in his first ever game for Hampton, by captain Steve Lamming (his first of the season) and by fly-half Calum Warmer.

Second row Theo Joy-Page also impressed with strong carrying throughout. In some periods of the game Hampton were in total control, but they conceded two soft tries before half time through missed tackles and couldn’t quite catch up.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: