Skip to content

Hard-earned 1-0 win for U15Cs

By Alistair White

After having left school just over an hour earlier, the unbeaten U15C team walked onto the pitch, facing off against Eton. The toss was won, and Hampton would kick off the game. Could they continue their unbeaten run?

From the first minute, it was clear that both sides were strong footballing teams, with Hampton playing the more attacking game. Some composed defensive play from in form centre-back Freddie Hunt and left-back Lawrie Wilkin kept Hampton on the front foot, leading to some good offensive play from striker Henry Forster. In the early stages of the game, a free kick just outside the box went Hampton’s way. Forster stepped up, the top corner in his sights. He struck the ball and, with the wind against him, hit it wide of the target.

With some more commanding defensive play, and a great performance all game by midfielder Nathan Le Bougeant, the game was starting to swing in favour of Hampton. Some great link up play on show from both wings, crosses were starting to enter Eton’s heavily defended penalty box. After some trickery and aggressive running, Fahad Hussain whipped in a brilliant ball, begging to be attacked. Unfortunately, it was slightly too high for the Hampton striker and some good defending from Eton meant it led to nothing. Chances had been few and far between, and as the half-time whistle blew, it remained goalless.

After the restart, Eton made some valuable substitutions and their fresh midfielders were playing strong football. Hampton fought back with some good pressing and interceptions, once again by Le Bougeant and his fellow midfielder Zidaan Khan. However, the space on the wings was beginning to be used more and more by both sides.

After a quiet beginning to the second half, the ball began to break for Hampton after some good team play by their defence especially Stanley Kelly. Angus Holker passed the ball up to midfielder Caleb Level and on to left-winger Alastair White. After a failed first attempt at an outside of the foot through ball to Forster, the ball rebounded back to the captain. White proceeded to lift the ball over the defender and into Forster’s path. It was the best chance of the game. The striker’s strength was enough to hold off the defender as he knocked the ball forward and lined up a shot from the left hand side of the penalty box. A powerful near post effort was too strong a shot for the keeper, as the ball flew past him into the back of the Eton net. A great finish from Forster. 1-0 to Hampton.

With Eton beginning to press harder for an equaliser, some more great defensive work led to frustration for the Eton team, as Hampton continue their unbeaten run.

Another great performance from Hampton, especially the goal scorer Forster and midfielder Le Bougeant. A good win after a tough game for the boys in black and gold.

Leave a Reply