Skip to content

Chastening defeat for U14Cs at Dulwich College

By Alasdair McIntosh

After a comfortable win in their previous game, the Hampton U14C team hoped to start another streak of wins away at Dulwich College. Unfortunately, with players missing from the squad, Hampton were unable to secure a consecutive win and lost the game 5-0.

It was a promising start for the Hampton side, most of the first 10 minutes were played in the Dulwich half and the oppositon’s attacks were swiftly halted by centre-backs Alasdair McIntosh and Connor Hendricks.

However, Hampton were dispossessed of their control of the game after a counter attack from Dulwich resulting in a goal. It took an impressive block from goalkeeper Joe Gordon to stop the first shot but the Dulwich striker was the first man to the rebound and tapped the ball goalwards only for it to be cleared off the line by McIntosh but, much to the dismay of Hampton, the goal was given and the decision stood. 1-0.

After conceding a free kick just five yards outside of the penalty box, Hampton were prepared for a direct shot. Left-back Noah Kelly was placed on the line to help Gordon stop the shot. As expected, Dulwich’s shot was direct but unfortunately, after miscommunication, the ball found its way into the goal between Kelly and Gordon

Dulwich scored their last goal of the half after quick movement up their left-wing brought the ball within shooting range on the edge of the box. McIntosh blocked the shot however it ricocheted into the path of a fortunate Dulwich forward who only had to tap the ball into the net.

No more chances came to either side in the remaining minutes of the half so as both sides went to their coaches for a team talk at half-time, the score was 3-0.

It was a change of formation and tactics for Hampton for the second half in the hope of securing at least a draw.

Hampton’s football was noticeably different in the second half with many more chances created through wingers Ben Wisniacki and Jayden Oni.

A huge Hampton chance came from one of these moves. The Dulwich ‘keeper was brought out of his box in order to tackle a Hampton attacker. The ‘keeper was not quick enough and after a scramble for the ball, Ted Killick-Steele took a shot with the ‘keeper 10 yards off his line, yet the ball was fired wide and Killick-Steele was left gutted.

Two more goals were scored by Dulwich in that half, both unable to be stopped by substitute keeper Arjan Walia after a great save from him that prevented Hampton conceding another.

The U14Cs walked away from the game knowing they should have done better and created more chances, something hopefully they can improve on in their next match.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: