Skip to content

U12Ds lose out in tightly-contested affair with Berkhamsted

By Theo Payne

With their recent win over Sutton Grammar School still fresh in their minds, the U12Ds took to the field on a sunny morning in Berkhamsted, hoping for another triumph. 

The game started energetically, with the opposition launching regular, threatening attacks down the left wing. It wasn’t long before a precise cross was swung in from Berkhamsted’s left winger and latched on to by the striker. It was then expertly tucked past the despairing dive of George Townley, the Hampton goalkeeper. 

As time went by, Hampton grew into the game and were creating chances of their own. Hampton’s Stephane Ansel was a live wire on the wing, constantly creating brilliant chances that were nearly converted many times. Hampton’s hard work paid off when Derin Ataoglu received the ball from Theo Pack on the edge of the area. Ataoglu then shifted it to the right winger, who then slotted it home. This breakthrough seemed to bolster both teams and just before half time, Berkhamsted regained their lead with an inventive passage of play through the middle. 

Half-Time Score: 2-1

Hampton started briskly after the break, hitting the woodwork and testing the ‘keeper. Despite their relentless offensives, Hampton was pegged back when a sudden counter attack brought forth a third Berkhamsted goal. But this only invigorated the Hampton forwards. Attack after attack, shot after shot, Hampton kept on chipping away at the weary Berkhamsted defence until a chance fell for Bruno Entenza Hueso on the edge of the box. The centre-back made no mistake, placing the ball expertly into the top far left-hand corner. It was game on!

The game moved steadily on and, with just ten minutes left, things were starting to get frantic. With the game still finely balanced, the opposition’s goalkeeper launched a pinpoint ball over the top of the defence and into the path of the Berkhamsted striker, who passed it calmly into the back of the net. Disheartened, the Hampton defence struggled to keep their spirits high and in the last play of the game Berkhamsted struck again. At the full-time whistle, the U12Ds walked off disappointed at their loss but proud of their performance.  

Full-Time Score: 5-2    

Leave a Reply