Skip to content

4th XI continue stellar season with impressive win

By Luke Jefferies

The 4th XI maintained their near-flawless season with a comfortable 6-1 win against Ewell Castle’s 2nd XI.

The first game after half term could have seen the side performing without their usual intensity, but the team showed no signs of lethargy in a breath-taking second half performance. The win extended the 4th XI’s unbeaten run to six, with just one loss all season.

It was a fast start from Hampton, with early chances going begging, but it wasn’t long until great build up from Hamish MacCormick put Chris Cannon one-on-one with the keeper. His effort was saved, but for the unfortunate defender tracking back, it rebounded into the goal for an own goal, although Cannon will argue he definitely got the final touch.

Looking to respond, Ewell Castle found a goal of their own not long after Hampton’s opener. Defensive confusion meant the Ewell Castle player had a simple finish to equalise. Hampton were also perhaps lucky not to concede further goals in the first half and were fortunate that the opposition struggled throughout the game in the final third.

On his return from injury, top-scoring striker Joel Malam put Hampton back in front with a simple tap-in following effective work down the flank from left back Dylan Evans-Hutchison.

Despite Hampton holding the one goal lead until half time, manager Mr. Lucas was not best pleased with the team, performing his own rendition of the hair dryer treatment.

A number of half time substitutions pursued, including winger Ollie Wykes. It didn’t take long for Hampton in the second half to extend their lead, with Wykes finishing from close range. Only a few minutes later, it was Wykes again slotting through the keeper’s legs from just inside the box, making Hampton’s advantage look almost unassailable.

Needless to say, the manager was feeling much happier now that not only had his team talk worked, but his substitution looked to have made the difference. As the game dragged on, Hampton showed more signs of dominance, playing the traditional Hampton style of keep-ball. The final two goals were not only the best of the game, but two of the best of the season.

At this point, the 4th XI were playing relentless football, and after many passes inside the Ewell Castle half, the ball found its way to the left flank, where Wykes played the perfect cross to year-group counterpart MacCormick.

The next goal was not too dissimilar, with another cross from the left being headed in by MacCormick for his second.

After a mixed first half, Hampton came out 6-1 winners against a 2nd XI side who by no means played poorly. After the match, the opposition manager paid tribute to Hampton by saying that in the second half they “couldn’t get a touch of the ball”. That is also testament to the 4th XI’s defence, who rarely get noticed in comfortable fixtures like this one.

There are three games left for the 4th XI this season, and those in the Upper Sixth, which happens to be the majority of the team, will be hoping to end their Hampton football career on a high.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: