Skip to content

Youth Roundup: Grey Court and St. George’s


Hampton U13As clinical in 2-0 win against strong Grey Court outfit

On Saturday 26 September, Hampton’s U13A team played against Grey Court in their first game of the new School year, winning 2-0 with a strong performance away from home. 

Having not played together since last season’s Surrey Cup semi-final win, which was over six months ago, the team were keen to get started. In the first ten minutes, Hampton and Grey Court had a fair share of the ball and both teams had some positive attempts on goal. After around fifteen minutes, the ball was played out wide to Sam Moylan-Jones on the right, who cleverly managed an early cross into the penalty area. Centre forward Dexter Boyle shot first time forcing a defensive block from the Grey Court defender, and Alex Ashton pounced on the loose ball to pass it into the far corner to go one up. Grey Court responded with some positive play which resulted in a missed chance.  

This forced Hampton to refocus as they started to move the ball quicker, producing some exciting football and a second goal was not too far away. Central midfielder Quinn Schutter intercepted the ball on the edge of Grey Court’s penalty area, he deceived two defenders before striking the ball sweetly into the bottom corner. 

In the second half Grey Court managed to compete in all areas which forced Hampton to stay alert and determined with both sides going close and playing some good football. With only a few minutes to go Hampton almost added to their tally. The ball was passed through to Daniel Mills, who was on the move on the left. He shot early to the far corner forcing a good save from the keeper. The match finished 2 – 0, a pleasing start to the season. 

By Daniel Mills


Hampton U14A routinely chase 153 to beat St. George’s


On a cold and windy day at Hampton, the U14s took on a very strong looking St George’s, Weybridge.

Maddox Dakin captained and won the toss, choosing to bowl first. Their openers started well and were on 85 for 0 off 12 overs. From then it only got better: going into the last two overs they were 140 for 0, one of their batsman getting 85 and the other 53. Hugo Knowles picked up the wicket of the former with some superb fielding. Zidaan Khan then picked up a couple in the last over and St George’s finished 153-3.

Dakin and Knowles opened for Hampton, and, from the get-go, they were firing. Early sixes for both the players set the tone as 70 was reached in only seven overs. Dakin then got run out chasing a two, but played very well for his 41 off 21 balls. Thomas Tabor then came into bat and him and Knowles combined well, with the latter passing fifty for the second game in a row. An over going for 21 helped Hampton win a very good game, finishing 154-1, with Knowles getting 71 not out and Tabor getting 26 not out.

By Thomas Tabor

Leave a Reply